Rainbow Bee-eaters and Pelicans

22nd Sepember 2017

A pair of beautiful Rainbow Bee-eaters (Merops ornatus)  have been witnessed perched on the fence between Jarowair and our neighbours place every now and then in the last few weeks, as well as high in the tree tops down the back of our property. I have seen them many times on the fence while driving home, but they take off as soon as you get close to try and take a photo.  I attempted today and took a couple of poor photos from a very long distance away, while trying to hold a stick above my head to prevent a magpie from swooping me!

The birds didn't stay on the fence for long and as I walked to try and get a better position they took off into neighbouring trees.  I thought I would just wait in the shade for a while to see if they returned, and while I was waiting and watching the magpie watching me.... a pair of wedge-tailed eagles were soaring above, and minutes later a pair of pelicans flew overhead!!  What a remarkable site these huge birds are flying over the drought stricken dry woodlands.  I am guessing they were on their way to somewhere better... flying over our property still counts as a bird record yes?

I do hope that the bee-eaters hang around for a while yet so I might have a chance at a decent photo. I am adding the ones I took today to the blog for our birding record.

J.G.

Rainbow Bee-eater (Merops ornatus) at Jarowair 22/09/17

Rainbow Bee-eaters (Merops ornatus) & Willie Wagtail 22/09/17

Australian Pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus) pair over Jarowair 22/09/17

Comments