White-banded Bees on Buttercup Wildflowers

11 September 2016

As you will know by now, I just love my wildflowers - and now that Spring is here, I am taking in everything that has popped up after some recent rain.  I was looking at these beautiful vibrant yellow native Australian Common Buttercups (Ranunculus lappaceus), when I noticed some of them had small 'bees' on them.  I took some photos on my phone which weren't real flash for identification, so went back with the macro lens to get better photos.

I am very lucky to have such a wonderful network of clever people - and thanks to Ken Walker, I have the positive identification of Lasioglossum lanarium (White-banded Bee or Native Sweat Bee). These bees were around 1cm in length, and weren't moving much at all on the Buttercups, just tucked in around the centre of the flower.  I found others with the same behaviour on other nearby Buttercups also. Ken tells me that this is typical behaviour of males on flowers waiting for a female to arrive. He says that he has often seen these males say overnight inside a flower which closes its petals at night!

I am so glad that I went back for better photos to pass onto an expert - as this is another new record for Jarowair Our Patch.

J.G.

Lasioglossum lanarium (White-banded Bee) on native Buttercups at Jarowair 9 Sept 2016



Three Lasioglossum lanarium (White-banded Bee) on native Buttercups at Jarowair 9 Sept 2016

Comments

  1. I haven't seen bees quite like these before. Amazing that a male bee will stay in a closed flower. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots, especially that first one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Jarowair Our Patch - your feedback is much appreciated. Please Subscribe to us on youtube or follow the #jarowairourpatch tag on Instagram. Kind Regards, Judi & Brendon