Brown Goshawk or Collared Sparrowhawk??? 29/08/11




I spotted this "Hawk" feeding on a hare carcus while driving home the on the 28th of August, 2011.  As I got closer I realized it wasn't a common bird and infact one I had not seen before.  I slowed down to search for my little camera in my bag.  The hawk flew away from the carrion and to the edge of the road on the other side.  I managed to get a couple of poor photos through the windscreen of the car (thus rather blury) before it flew off alltogether.  On looking at the books and on the internet I was then unsure if it was a Collared Sparrowhawk or a Brown Goshawk as both read similar.  I realize the photos aren't much help for identification - put alas proof that I have seen one and and another tick to the list.  The bird was solo and within 1km of our property on the Darling Downs.  Any insight into the ID is much appreciated - Judi.

Collared Sparrowhawk or Brown Goshawk??


Comments